2009年6月7日日曜日

June 1 homework

1.Are feelings, emotions and facial expressions universal across borders, happy, sad, etc..?

I think they have many same points in different country, but there are small differences between Japan and another countries. I think I can raghly understand their feelings from their faces. For example, I can understand whether they are happy or not from their faces. But, I think I can't understand their complicated facial expressions. For exaple, I can't understand what tightening their lips or moving eyebrows means in different countries.


2. Try to name as many feelings as possible in Japanese. ( 10 minimum) Then, write the English translation.

楽しい fun   おこっている angry うらやましい enviable
うれしい happy      気まずい awkward いらいらする annoy
さみしい lonly こわい scary 悲しい sad
驚く surprised    興味がある interested

3. Are there any feelings in Japanese that cannot be translated into English?

もうしわけない
もったいない
かんじがわるい

6 件のコメント:

  1. I agree with you. It is difficult to express Japanese modesty, like you give some examples.

    返信削除
  2. Hello, kang-fu.
    Yes, "Mottainai" only have this word in Japan. How to expressing it?

    返信削除
  3. I am very sorry but I have misplaced the sign-up sheet with the volunteers names and email addresses on it. If you signed up to make potato salad, set-up, cook/serve food, or clean up, please leave me a comment!

    返信削除
  4. Thank you for your comments!
    >sen
    I think so, too. In fact, I'm afraid I can't translate them well because of my poor English skill.

    >cherry blossom
    I have heard Mottainai is famous Japanese words in the foreign countries.

    >Gareth
    I'm sorry I read your comment after the BBQ day. The BBQ was very good, I think.

    返信削除
  5. Hi,
    yeah there is no exact wards for those Japanes. we cen explan those words in English sentence though...
    even if we find those words in Japanese English dictionary, those English words may not have the meanings of the meaninngs which Japnaese has.

    返信削除
  6. Hello:)

    I agree with you.
    I can't translate もったいない into English.
    It't difficult to translate Japanese into English.

    I think 申し訳ない is like "feel I'm sorry".

    返信削除