2010年1月24日日曜日

January 18 homework

Do you agree with the writer Minae Mizumura (“The Fall of Japanese in the Age of English”) when she says that”, “the dominance of English, especially with the advent of the Internet, threatens to reduce all other national languages to mere “local” languages that are not taken seriously by scholars. The education system, she argues, doesn’t spend enough time teaching Japanese.”Why? Give at least 3 reasons to support your answer.

I disagree with her.

Firstly, I think English doesn't have so much power in Japan now. Most of Japanese don't use English in our dairy life. Though she said English has a power especially with the advent of the Internet, I hardly check websites written in English because reading Japanese website is easier, faster and more comfortable. I know there is much information written in English on the web, but I check them only for the teacher's request. Maybe, many Japanese also don't see the websites written in English, and I think English don't affect Japanese life so seriously.

Secondly, I think learning foreign languages sometimes enables us to understand our first language more objectively. When I was a junior high school student, I can't understand Japanese grammar at Japanese classes. After I study English grammar deeply, I understand Japanese grammar more easily.

Thirdly, English is needed when we try to work internationally. Therefore, I think learning English is not bad thing. Learning proper Japanese is important. However, if we cling to learn proper Japanese and don't learn English hard, Japanese can't be active internationally.

4 件のコメント:

  1. Hello:)

    I agree with you.
    I think English doesn't have so much power in Japan now, too.
    Japanese people don't have so time to use English in life.

    返信削除
  2. Hello
    Japanese grammar is difficult to learn, and it's different from English.
    I'm interested that after you studied English grammar,you understood Japanese grammar easily.Can you tell me the reason?

    返信削除
  3. hi!!
    I agree with you! We need to study English in the global world today!! It will helpul for us to know and understand about the other countries!

    返信削除
  4. hi,
    I agree with your opinion.
    I also don't see the websites written in English because there are a lot of good Japanese websits. And I think English doesn't have so much power in Japan, too.

    返信削除